Santa Cruz Heckler



This post is a tribute to my Santa Cruz Hecker.

I've always had a few bikes at a time, but this has been the favourite bike in my garage for the last few years, and I've had many many great days riding the Heckler.


  
Performance, reliability and capability as an all-mountain trail bike have all been just fantastic. I can fully appreciate why its always been one of the top user-rated all mountain bikes on mtbr.com. 

I bought it new as a frame only and built it up myself. The spec is listed below but in particular the Rockshox Pike 426 forks are worth a mention.

Like the rest of the bike they have performed flawlessly for years with just routine servicing, and have always been super smooth.  Plus I love all the features and adjustablilty. Especially the u-turn travel adjustment and remote lock out - two features that really add to the versatility of the bike.

 
 I took these pictures after cleaning the bike up to sell it, and the clear frame protection tape I put on when new has done a great job.  The bike has always been looked after well, but certainly its been ridden plenty, and in all sorts of conditions, but after removing the frame tape and giving it a good clean up there was barely a mark on it.  So I'll continue to be a big fan of frame protection tape on my mountain bikes for sure.

Anyway,  I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I did.  I do miss this bike a littlte already!


Frame, shock, etc.It's a medium size Santacruz Heckler, 5.5 inch travel silver colour.
Santacruz don't do year models as such, but I think the current model started in 2007 and this is the previous model, but bought new and build up in 2007 (very last of the previous model before the most recent update)
5.5 inch rear travel, Manitou swinger 4 way with 350 spring, SPV pedalling platform.
All shock adjustments working flawlessly.
Frame pivots and bearing smooth.
Cane creek S3 headset.
Medium size is 18" from memory (I'll check and confirm)

ForksRockshox Pike 426 U-Turn, 145/95mm travel.
Firm spring, Motion control damping, poplock bar mounted lockout, rebound, compression damping, lock out threshold etc.
20mm maxle QR.

Cranks, driveline, Shifters and DerailleurSRAM X9 shifters
SRAM X7 rear, shimano XT front mech.
Shimano external bearing hollowtech bottom bracket.
Shimano XT triple crank
SRAM PG 990 cassette 11-34
Shimano XTR chain

Wheels, hubs, cassette, tyres.Sun single track rims, 32 spokes. Front with generic (formula?) 20mm sealed bearing hub, rear is Shimano QR.
Kenda Nevegals

BrakesDiatech Anchor, 203mm front, 180mm rear
(not a big name brake but good power and modulation)

Cockpit etc.Easton, 690mm riser bars, Easton 100mm stem, Easton seat post (30.8)
Oury lock on grips
WTB saddle



No comments:

Post a Comment